Primary School Counselling Referrals
Please read the check list carefully, proceed to the online referral Form below, then complete it and press submit.
Checklist for referring a Year 6 child for counselling
If child asks for counselling or a parent or staff member have identified that counselling might be helpful to the child’s wellbeing, it is necessary to outline what counselling is:
It is important to talk to the parent/carer and the child, using appropriate language suitable for their age and understanding, click the Counselling Info for Adults & Children link below to access resources.
- Give the child information verbally from Area 43’s information leaflet (Information for Children and Young People) and a copy to take away.
- Area 43 has an information leaflet (Counselling Information For Parents & Carers), which is available if required.
It would be usual for the child to been seen by the counsellor attached to the secondary school that that child will eventually attend.
Before Area 43 can start the counselling process with a Year 6 child we need the following information and certain procedures to have taken place:
- The name and age of the child
- The name of the secondary school they will attend in Year 7
- Information about any other agencies who might be working with the child
- Confirmation that someone has spoken to the child and explained what counselling is
- Confirmation that the child agrees to see the counsellor
- Written parental consent
Please feel free to contact Sally Jones or Ryan Davies on 01239 614566 if you need further information or have any questions.